Thursday 24 August 2017

Only Up! 23.8.17

Only Up!

It was my choice, no harness no backing down. Despite the pain I’ve always loved rock climbing but this is the riskiest stunt I’ve tried yet. I’m feeling like a rising champion as my fingers grip onto yet another black finger hold. The volcano that stands to the left of me is now casting his shadow over the ocean meaning that the sun that had just been tapping on my shoulder was creeping away. “Shoot!” I mutter, I knew I should have started climbing earlier and it now looks like I’m having to face the consequences for climbing in the dark had not been what I’d signed up for. I can taste the saltiness of my sweat running over my lips making the dust that had escaped from the rock face stick to my face like an invisible sheet. I quickly step up my pace and put the nasty thoughts of me plummeting into the murky water below at the back of my mind. To take my mind off that I think about my future how when I do make it to the top I’ll be a worldwide champion or as some may say the best of the best. “Ahh!” My fingers are now aching I’d always thought I’d been nice and fit but at this moment I feel heavier than a hundred shot puts. A small grunt escapes my lips as I strain my muscles to take yet another lunge towards the top, towards victory. The weight of the parachute is most definitely not helping yet health and safety was right it was better to safe than sorry. I reach up but touch a ragged rock instead of another finger hold and the blood starts dripping out. Great. Just great. I’m still only ¾ of the way up but I’ve run out of strength, I quickly fiddle to find the parachute strap.“Ahh!” I scream, the tiredness and pain had gotten to me. I’d just let go.

1 comment: